Unlicensed spectrum, where Wi-Fi® operates, is one of society’s most valuable resources. The Wi-Fi industry’s innovation, promotion, and good stewardship of unlicensed spectrum has delivered significant benefits to users and driven immense economic value worldwide. Wi-Fi Alliance® advocates for unlicensed spectrum, and for ensuring that the benefits Wi-Fi delivers can be maintained.
Global support for Wi-Fi operation in 6 GHz unlicensed spectrum – designated as Wi-Fi 6E devices – continues to grow, as regulators and governments recognize the tremendous benefits brought by Wi-Fi 6E devices operating in the band. Regulatory bodies worldwide are ensuring their citizens have access to the benefits of Wi-Fi 6E by making the 6 GHz band available for unlicensed use. Wi-Fi Alliance is promoting worldwide innovation and a diverse device ecosystem by helping ensure interoperability of Wi-Fi 6E devices through Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 program testing and certification. Wi-Fi Alliance continues to work with regulatory agencies worldwide to open the 6 GHz spectrum for Wi-Fi 6E.
Unlicensed spectrum availability
While there has been sustained growth in Wi-Fi usage, demand, and economic reliance, unlicensed spectrum allocation has not increased at pace with Wi-Fi growth until now. Wi-Fi Alliance commissioned research to determine future Wi-Fi needs. The resulting Wi-Fi Spectrum Needs Study confirms that between 2020 and 2025 users worldwide are likely to experience a spectrum shortfall, without global access to additional spectrum.
To sustain the economic and societal benefits derived from Wi-Fi, consumers need globally harmonized spectrum availability that considers growth in Wi-Fi use and fair coexistence among technologies operating in unlicensed spectrum.
Wi-Fi 6E operation in 6 GHz addresses Wi-Fi spectrum shortage by providing contiguous spectrum blocks to accommodate up to 14 additional 80 MHz channels or seven additional 160 MHz channels. These wider channels are needed for high-bandwidth applications that require faster data throughput such as high-definition video streaming, virtual reality, unified communications, cloud computing, and telepresence. Wi-Fi 6E devices leverage wider channels and additional capacity to deliver greater network performance and support more Wi-Fi users at once, even in very dense and congested environments.
Wi-Fi Alliance is committed to working with all interested stakeholders to ensure Wi-Fi continues to meet users’ needs, now and in the future.
Join us in our efforts to ensure the continued success of Wi-Fi.
Keynote Address: Jessica Rosenworcel, Chairwoman of the FCC (Wi-Fi Alliance June Member Meeting)
Wi-Fi 6E: Expanding Wi-Fi into 6 GHz spectrum
A day without Wi-Fi
FCC remarks from Ajit Pai, Chairman
What Wi-Fi trends are expected in 2020?
|Wi-Fi Alliance® demonstrates AFC Service in Seoul|
|Wi-Fi 6E Insights: March 2023 Editorial|
|Special Feature: Keeping flexibility in key frequencies|
|The tipping point for digital inclusion: WWC Rio zooms in on standard power 6 GHz Wi-Fi|
|Wi-Fi Alliance: Connectivity sharing and low device costs key to digital inclusion|
|Wi-Fi 6E is the must-have feature for your next phone — here’s why|
|Wi-Fi 6E certified products|
- Wi-Fi 6E Insights – March 2023
- Wi-Fi® Affordability Highlights
- Wi-Fi® Sustainability Highlights
- Wi-Fi 6E Insights – November 2022
- Wi-Fi 6E in Education: University of Michigan
- 6 GHz Wi-Fi®: Connecting to the future (2022)
- Wi-Fi 6E Insights – July 2022
- Wi-Fi 6E Insights – April 2022
- Infographic - Wi-Fi® by the numbers (2022)
- Wi-Fi 6E Insights – December 2021
- Wi-Fi 6E Insights – October 2021
- Wi-Fi 6E Insights – July 2021
- Wi-Fi 6E Insights – April 2021
- Global Economic Value of Wi-Fi® (2021-2025)
- Economic Value of Wi-Fi® Highlights
- Economic Value of Wi-Fi® Graphics
- Wi-Fi 6E: Wi-Fi® in the 6 GHz band (2021)
- COVID-19 and the Economic Value of Wi-Fi® (2020)
- Wi-Fi 6E Highlights
- Wi-Fi® Spectrum Needs Study
- Wi-Fi® LTE-U Coexistence Test Workshop Presentations (September 2016)
- Pilot Study Report of Multiple Wi-Fi® Vendors' Performance
- Wi-Fi® LTE-U Coexistence Test Workshop Presentations (August 2016)
- Wi-Fi® LTE-U Coexistence Test Workshop Presentations (June 2016)
- Wi-Fi® LTE-U Coexistence Test Workshop Presentations (April 2016)
- Wi-Fi® LTE-U Coexistence Test Workshop Presentations (February 2016)
- Wi-Fi Alliance® facilitates Wi-Fi® and LTE Unlicensed coexistence
- Wi-Fi® LTE-U Coexistence Test Workshop Presentations (November 2015)
- Coexistence Guidelines for LTE in Unlicensed Spectrum Studies
- LTE unlicensed and Wi-Fi®: Moving beyond coexistence (2015)
6GHz Wi-Fi - The Silver Bullet for Addressing the 1000x Data Challenge Using Unlicensed Spectrum
A Guide to Wi-Fi 6E – Wi-Fi 6 in the 6 GHz Band