Since 2000, Wi-Fi Alliance® members have certified more than 40,000 products. Through industry-developed comprehensive testing, the Wi-Fi Alliance certification program ensures that Wi-Fi® products from multiple manufacturers work well together. Wi-Fi Alliance certification programs are foundational to the rapid adoption of Wi-Fi products in homes, offices, and public access locations around the world and continue to be at the foundation of the technology’s proliferation.
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ products deliver interoperability of the latest technologies and industry-standard security protections. In short – Wi-Fi CERTIFIED means a good user experience, regardless of brand. For retailers, vendors, and service providers, our seal of approval means higher customer satisfaction rates, fewer support calls, and fewer product returns.
Our certification programs cover the following categories:
Today’s Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products connect with those certified in 2000. All Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products are backward-compatible with earlier versions operating in the same frequency band.
- Interoperable connectivity: Wi-Fi CERTIFIED a in 5 GHz and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED b/g in 2.4 GHz
- Advanced Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n in both 2.4 and 5 GHz for high-performance Wi-Fi networking
- Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac, the very latest version of Wi-Fi in 5 GHz, pushing Wi-Fi past the gigabit-per-second data rate milestone for network capacity
- Wi-Fi Direct®: Allows Wi-Fi client devices that connect directly without use of an access point, to enable applications such as printing, content sharing, and display. Wi-Fi Direct certifies products which implement technology defined in the Wi-Fi Peer-to-Peer Technical Specification. Application Service Platform and optional services are defined in the Wi-Fi Peer-to-Peer Services Technical Specification.
- Wi-Fi CERTIFIED WiGig™ : Utilizes the 60 GHz frequency band to enable extremely high performance, multi-gigabit connectivity and low latency for a range of applications, including wireless docking, augmented reality/virtual reality (AR/VR), multimedia streaming, gaming and networking.
- Wi-Fi Protected Access® 2 (WPA2™): Wi-Fi wireless network security offers reliable security mechanisms for both personal and enterprise environments; continued enhancements ensure it delivers strong security protections to Wi-Fi users as the security landscape evolves
- Wi-Fi Protected Access 3 (WPA3™): New security capabilities for personal and enterprise Wi-Fi networks to simplify Wi-Fi security configuration and enhance network security protections
- EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol): A set of authentication mechanisms used to validate the identity of network devices in the enterprise
- 192-bit Security Suite: Security suite aligned with the Commercial National Security Algorithm (CNSA) Suite from the Committee on National Security Systems, will further protect Wi-Fi networks with higher security requirements such as government, defense, and industrial
- Protected Management Frames: Protected Management Frames extends security protections to unicast and multicast management action frames, maintaining the resiliency of mission-critical networks
- Passpoint®: Enables SIM and non-SIM mobile devices to discover, select and connect to Wi-Fi networks without user intervention. Passpoint devices “see behind” the SSID (network name) to select a network based on ownership, services and performance characteristics. Wi-Fi network connections use an enhanced set of industry-standard WPA2 security protections; compatibility with legacy devices can be retained through deployment of multiple SSIDs. Passpoint certifies products which implement technology defined in the Wi-Fi Alliance Hotspot 2.0 Technical Specification. The technology behind Passpoint is foundational to Wi-Fi roaming and has been specified by both Wireless Broadband Alliance and the GSMA Terminal Steering Group.
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup™: Facilitates easy set-up of security features using a Personal Identification Number (PIN) or other defined methods within the Wi-Fi device. Wi-Fi Protected Setup certifies products which implement technology defined in the Wi-Fi Simple Configuration Technical Specification.
- IBSS with Wi-Fi Protected Setup: Enables ad-hoc connections between devices to complete tasks such as file printing or sharing. Designed to ease setup of connection for devices with limited user interface. IBSS with Wi-Fi Protected Setup certifies products which implement technology defined in the IBSS with Wi-Fi Protected Setup Specification.
Applications and Services
- Miracast®: Provides seamless display of high-definition (HD) and 4K Ultra High-Definition (Ultra HD) content between devices, regardless of brand, without cables or a network connection. Miracast certifies products which implement technology defined in the Wi-Fi Display Technical Specification. Enhancements released in 2017 include 4K Ultra HD support, and extended battery life in mobile devices.
- Voice-Enterprise: Supports a good experience with voice applications over Wi-Fi, enabling fast transitions between access points and providing management. Voice-Enterprise builds on the Voice-Personal certification features.
- Voice-Personal: Voice over Wi-Fi extends beyond interoperability testing to test the performance of products and help ensure that they deliver good voice quality over the Wi-Fi link
- Wi-Fi Aware™ : Enables devices within Wi-Fi range to detect one another and create independent, peer-to-peer cluster networks to exchange information and services without the need for network infrastructure. Wi-Fi Aware improves on existing peer-to-peer connectivity offerings by delivering here-and-now contextual awareness that empowers users to both find and utilize services that match their interests while on the go. Wi-Fi Aware works well indoors, as well as dynamic and dense environments, without requiring a cellular, infrastructure, or GPS connection.
- Wi-Fi Location™: Delivers accurate indoor location through Wi-Fi networks, allowing location applications and services to operate indoors
- TDLS (Tunneled Direct Link Setup): Allows network-connected devices to create a secure, direct link to transfer data more efficiently
- Wi-Fi Agile Multiband™: Enables client devices and access points (APs) to exchange information so the Wi-Fi network can guide devices to the best bands, channels, and APs to maximize system efficiency and provide the best user experience.
- Wi-Fi EasyMesh™: Brings a standards-based approach to residential and small office Wi-Fi networks that utilize multiple access points. Wi-Fi EasyMesh delivers scalable, smart Wi-Fi networks that are easy to set up and manage.
- Wi-Fi Optimized Connectivity™: Optimizes roaming and network selection in managed network environments through improved scanning, link quality metric assessment, faster initial authentication, and more efficient transmissions
- Wi-Fi TimeSync™: Enables accurately timed audio, video, and data across Wi-Fi networks
- Wi-Fi Vantage™: Provides an ongoing evolution of advanced features to elevate the user experience in managed Wi-Fi networks
- WMM® (Wi-Fi Multimedia™): Support for multimedia content over Wi-Fi networks enabling Wi-Fi networks to prioritize traffic generated by different applications using Quality of Service (QoS) mechanisms. WMM certifies products which implement technology defined in the WMM Technical Specification.
- WMM-Admission Control: Enhanced bandwidth management tools to optimize the delivery of voice and other traffic in Wi-Fi networks. WMM-Admission Control certifies products which implement technology defined in the WMM Technical Specification.
- WMM-Power Save: Power savings for multimedia content over Wi-Fi networks - helps conserve battery life while using voice and multimedia applications by managing the time the device spends in sleep mode
- CWG-RF: Developed with CTIA®, this is a test program developed for converged devices with both Wi-Fi and cellular technology. The testing provides detailed information about the performance of the Wi-Fi radio in a converged handset, as well as how the cellular and Wi-Fi radios interact with one another. Although this test program is not an element of Wi-Fi certification, completion of the testing is mandatory for Wi-Fi enabled handsets
- Power saving features: Enhances capabilities of Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED n by enabling longer battery life for devices through longer sleep periods and more efficient use of network exchanges
- Wi-Fi Home Design™: Delivers whole home Wi-Fi coverage through builder designed and installed Wi-Fi networks in newly constructed homes